Texas man receives 12-year terrorism charge on new conviction | Taiwan News

HOUSTON (AP) – A Texas man convicted of providing material support to the Islamic State group was sentenced to 12 years in federal prison on Wednesday after the government appealed his previous conviction, saying it was too lenient.

U.S. District Judge Charles R. Eskridge in Houston has sentenced Asher Abid Khan, 27, of Spring, to also 15 years on probation, prosecutors said.

Khan pleaded guilty in 2017 to providing material support to the Islamic State group. US District Judge Lynn H. Hughes later sentenced Khan to 18 months in prison, saying he had potential for rehabilitation.

The government twice appealed the 18-month sentence before the 5th Circuit appeals court ordered the judgment set aside and set aside and the case reassigned, prosecutors said.

Khan was living in Australia when he and a friend from Texas hatched a plan to travel to Turkey and then Syria in 2014 to fight for the Islamic State, prosecutors said. Khan told a recruiter he wanted to join the Islamic State, prosecutors said.

Khan and his friend met in Turkey and Khan gave his friend money, knowing about his plans, prosecutors said.

Khan’s family, however, convinced him to return to the United States. Prosecutors say that once Khan was home, he put his friend in touch with the recruiter.

Prosecutors said the friend’s mother eventually received a message saying he died fighting in Syria.

Khan’s defense team had asked the judge for a five-year sentence.

“I’m sorry the number is much higher than what we were supporting,” David Adler, an attorney for Khan, told Khan supporters outside the courtroom, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Eskridge said anything under 12 wouldn’t send “the right message.” The judge admitted that Khan had cooperated with government investigations and had spoken out against terrorist propaganda.

The newspaper reported that Khan had recently obtained an engineering degree from the University of Houston.

“It doesn’t mean your life is over,” the judge said.

Janice J. Kostka