Taiwan’s Population Growth Rate Hits New Low | Taiwan News

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – The Home Office (MoI) announced today (Jan. 19) that statistics from the Household Registry Office revealed that Taiwan’s population increased by only 18,000. between 2017 and 2018, a new low in recent years.

The statistics reflect a growth rate of just 0.08 percent, the first time it has fallen below a thousandth of the total population in the previous year. The decline in growth is not as large as it was between 2016 and 2017, but it is still indicative of a general downward trend that Taiwan has been experiencing for more than two decades.

According to statistics released by the Interior Ministry, there were 11,712,913 men in Taiwan at the end of 2018, representing 49.65% of the total population, and 11,876,019 women, representing the remaining 50.35%. . The male-to-female ratio fell to 98.63 (male to one hundred female), possibly due to women living longer, the ministry said.

Deputy Director of the Interior Department of the Teng Hsin-wei Ministry (??) told CNA that the total number of births in 2018 was lower than the number of deaths, which limited the potential for population growth.

When looking at population changes, you have to consider both “social” and “natural” aspects, Teng said. The social aspect of a population change refers to immigration and emigration, although this factor usually does not have a huge impact on the overall potential scope of the change, they added.

Given that Taiwan’s population grew again in 2018, this is a positive indication that the country is attracting immigrants and encouraging them to naturalize, Teng noted.

Janice J. Kostka